Friday, January 11, 2013

Les Misérables

Well, think this is the film to receive all the hyperbole this month. Well, it is no exaggeration to say that aficionados of drama should go to see Les Misérables.

Russell Crowe, Hugh Jackman, Amanda Seyfried and Anne Hathaway are the obvious stars. However the reality is that almost everything about the film is good.

From the opening chord of music, you get the feeling the the film is going to fly. And fly it does.

I have never been to see the stage production but it was quite evident, as the story progressed, that much of the music and many of the songs have become subconsciously embedded in my mind over time.

While snippets of the singing might be considered a little suspect, the overall musicality of Les Misérables really does take your breath away.

I had no idea of the storyline before I visited the cinema, but that did not matter because the screenplay and characters just sucked me in.

The cinematography is excellent (I thought the lighting was superb) and the pace never really slowed from beginning to end. A very quick 157 minutes.

I suspect that there may be an award or two on the way.

No comments: