Sunday, May 07, 2006

Clarification: What is a Chav?

A short while ago I made a post entitled 'Chavs On The Line'. It has since become clear that I have a greater working knowledge of some modern useage of the English language, than many of my friends and acquaintances. This surprises me.

Anyway, click here for guidance from Wikipedia on what constitutes a Chav. Summarised as:

"Chav is a derogatory slang term in popular usage throughout the UK. It refers to a subculture stereotype of a person who is uneducated, uncultured and prone to antisocial or immoral behaviour. The label is typically, though not exclusively, applied to teenagers and young adults of white working-class or lower-middle class origin."
Just to carry on the theme, I chortled and chortled when I saw the attached on one of District Dave's Message boards. There is a perception that Chavham ought to be posh- it isn't!

No comments: